Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A Day of Cooking and Freezing

I'm really enjoying my kitchen! We've been in our house just over a year now and the benefits of having so much counter space is priceless! I feel grateful that I have all this space, no other place we've lived was able to suit our needs.
Today I had my mom on Monster Cookie duty. She makes the best, so why not have her make them instead of me botching them up :) The kids mouths were just salivating when they saw all that goes into those cookies. Then to see how big we baked them, mmmmm, they will be having cookie dreams tonight!
On another counter I was using my new toy :) an apple slicer, peeler, cutter(thank you Stephanie for showing me this!). It was soo helpful! No carpal tunnel today! I got the first apples cut and ready for the crockpot, I love that toy also!! Two batches of applesauce in each crockpot and just let them go. Yup that was on another counter.
So I needed the next counter to cut more apples for apple pie filling. Got only five bags of filling done when I ran out of apples and freezer space.
Anyway I thought I'd share a recipe or two from today.

Apple Pie Filling
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 Tbs. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
8-9 medium apples
Pour the first 3 ingredients into gallon freezer bag, then add apples. Zip shut, shake. Then reopen and take air out of bag. Zip shut. Date it and its ready for the freezer. When ready to use, defrost and add to pie crust.
So, so easy!!

Crockpot Applesauce
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
10 medium apples, sliced,peeled and cut
Place all ingredients into crockpot, mix, and turn on low for 8-10 hours. Let cool and spoon into gallon size freezer bags. Freeze.

Easy peasy!

{{I'm so thankful for my mom for making this day so productive! And hope for many more!! Love you mom!}}

No comments:

Post a Comment