Sunday, October 16, 2011

Crazy?!

Crazy?!
Not really :-) full of love, compassion, tender hearted and darn right odd! Yup, that's how I would describe myself. I'm a city girl turned country girl. A Mustang sports car lover turned "let's find a SUV that fits all of us" mama. I was K-12 privately schooled girl, public college educated young lady and now homeschool teacher to 5 children. Yup, that definitely makes me odd. Now for me to be crazy I'd have to add; love to stay home, homeschool 5 children, love to bake, scrapbook, crochet and spend time with my kids and husband.....oops! Guess I'm crazy!! Who does those kinds of things these days?? Not many. Just the ones that have the will power to stand out in a crowd. ;-) and boy do I stick out!!
In highschool did I ever think I would homeschool my kids? Didn't even think about it! Didn't even know anyone who was homeschooled. Probably would have called you Crazy! Did I change my opinion once I went to college?? Absolutely! I decided then and there that I needed my children's eyes opened to the many views on the world that I never got. Sure I want to protect my children from worldly views. But I also want them to not feel shell shocked once they get on their own. Feeling nieve and wanting to experience more that they should.
As much as people don't agree, homeschooling is not Crazy nor even for Crazy people. Homeschooling is just a word that I really think means, opportunities! So many benefits to homeschooling! I don't need to see my kids be 7 and act 15. They can be who they are and act their age. Play with dolls and pretend to be super heros till their 12+ years old. We don't need to take vacations because everyone says that's your time to go. We can take time out of our school week to actually get hands on learning, with museums, zoos, libraries, talk with actual people that have lived and been thru different time periods or historical events. Get down and dirty with the chickens and feed the horses or go to a mechanic and learn about engines or even learn a sport and play on a team. Sure not every child likes every subject or every learning experience. But yet, that's the whole point of learning...right??
I don't want to fight the crowds on the weekends to get what we need to get done before school starts again Monday morning. I don't want to start school in September...maybe, just maybe (you might want to sit down for this one ;) I like school all year around or I like to take a huge break in the spring not the summer. Whoa! Here we go into that Crazy Homeschool lady mode. LOL!
All in all, I just love being my children's teacher, nurse, mom, their supporter and life coach. I enjoy seeing them grow from their mistakes and them knowing that I will be right their when they just need a hug. I love that I can change their curriculum so it fits them and their learning needs. I know homeschooling isn't for everyone. And I know I'm odd and maybe a bit Crazy. But we have fun! We learn and are VERY smart.
Homeschooling means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. But you can never say Crazy until you try it....I dare you! :-)

1 comment: